Are you looking for a dentist in or near Hamden, CT? When it comes to finding a new dentist, whether you’re new to the area or simply in need of a change, do you know what to look for? If you want to find the best dentist, there are certain characteristics that set some dentists apart from the rest.
Connecticut Magazine publishes a yearly list of the best dentists in the state as voted on by their peers. I believe the qualities of a “best” dentist should include the following attributes:
- Educated at a top notch dental school. A quality education matters when it comes to finding a great dentist. Pay attention to the dentist’s credentials and where they earned them. Some dental schools are more prestigious than others, meaning they are harder to be accepted to and offer more rigorous programming. You want a dentist who earned their degree through hard work.
- Residency training at a major trauma hospital. All dentists should complete a residency program at a hospital where they deal with medically compromised patients and learn how to treat patients who have experienced dental trauma. Look into this part of a dentist’s qualifications to determine where they completed their residency.
- Further postgraduate training. A top notch dentist should never stop learning. Look for a dentist that shows evidence of postgraduate training, whether at local or regional schools and even online. Dentists can attend seminars and training symposiums to learn new techniques and how to perfect current procedures. Choose a dentist that values continued education.
- Being an educator. Not only should a dentist pursue continuing education, they should also be willing to teach. I was an attending at Yale New Haven Hospital for decades. Every month I lectured my residents as well as oversaw the treatment of patients in the hospital clinic. I believe that new dentists should be well versed in 20th century dental concepts before they can embrace new 21st century technology. By passing knowledge on to other dentists, it improves the entire field of dentistry in addition to their own private practices.
- Involvement in organized dentistry. Look for a dentist who is affiliated with dental organizations such as the American Dental Association as well as local and regional chapters of such organizations. A dentist who takes the initiative to join and upkeep memberships and even serve in leadership roles for organized dental groups is a dentist who is committed to the field.
- Strives for excellence. A “best” dentist will be constantly improving and looking for opportunities to offer better dental services to patients. Look for evidence of constant refinement in any dentist you choose. Having the ability to communicate to patients succinctly and comprehensively is incredibly important especially in anxious patients.
- Empathy. One of the most important qualities of anyone who provides a health service of any kind, is empathy. In dentistry, the patient should be the first priority. A “best” dentist will be able to empathize with patients in order to provide the best possible care.
- Outstanding communication skills. You need a dentist (and support staff) who has outstanding communication skills. Communication between dentist and patient, as well as between dentist and support staff, is crucial for the best possible care to be provided.
Connecticut’s Best Dentist: Dr. Robert T. Golia, DDS, FAGD
Dr. Golia has been voted by his peers to be a “best” dentist in Connecticut every year since 2008. He and his practice embody all of the qualities listed above and exceed the expectations of an excellent dentist.
Dr. Golia received his DDS from Georgetown School of Dentistry in 1980. He went on to complete his residency at Hartford Hospital in 1981. He has continued his postgraduate studies through L.D. Pankey Institute from 1989-2008.
As an educator, Dr. Golia has a history of sharing his knowledge and passion for dentistry in different ways. He was the Section Chief, Department of Restorative Dentistry, Department of Dentistry at Yale New Haven Hospital and an Assistant Professor of Surgery (Dental) at the Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Golia is a member of the American Dental Association, the Connecticut Dental Association, New Haven Dental Association, Academy of General Dentistry, and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. In the past he has served as president of the New Haven Dental Association.
He continually strives to improve the quality of care he provides for his patients, taking their thoughts and feelings into consideration at all times when making decisions in his practice. He effectively communicates with patients and staff to ensure that everyone feels informed, appreciated and heard.
If you are interested in becoming a patient of Dr. Golia’s, call (203) 248-7400 today or contact us to schedule an appointment. We look forward to having you join our practice as a new patient.