Do you have a special event coming up where you want to look your best? Whether it's a wedding, a photo shoot, or some other important event, the photos will be frozen in time. Will you be happy with how your smile looks? If not, it's time to create a plan to make the necessary improvements. Cosmetic dentistry treatments and procedures can take some time, so it is important to plan accordingly. Here’s a suggested timeline for getting dental work done before a special event.
One Year Ahead
Some cosmetic treatments take a year or more to produce results. If possible, schedule your initial consultation at least a year before the big day. Using virtual cosmetic simulation we can show you what your smile will look like once cosmetic improvements are made. Procedures that need to be scheduled a year before your event may include:
- Dental Implants. If you are planning to replace missing or damaged teeth with dental implants, it is necessary to start the process up to a year in advance. Depending on the situation, some preparation may be required, such as bone grafting to prepare the jaw for dental implant placement.
6 Months Ahead
Any significant restorative procedure should be scheduled at least 6 months before your big event. Such procedures may include:
- Dental crown. A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cover that is placed over a tooth that is severely damaged or decayed.
- Dental bridge. A dental bridge can replace one or more teeth in a row with a single prosthetic that is supported by the healthy teeth on either side of the gap.
- Dentures. Dentures can replace some or all of the teeth. Traditional dentures may only take a few months, but implant supported dentures could take closer to a year.
It can take a few months and multiple steps to prepare and create a natural looking dental prosthetic that fits and functions properly.
3 Months Ahead
Some cosmetic procedures should be planned at least 3 months before your big day, such as:
- Veneers. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that attach to the front side of your teeth, giving them a new facade. Veneers can conceal a variety of imperfections, including crooked teeth, gaps between teeth, stains, and chips.
2 Months Ahead
When you only have a couple of months left, it is time to schedule routine dental care. Don’t wait until you have 2 months left to call, as there may not be any appointments available.
- Teeth cleaning. If you want shiny, clean teeth for your big event, have them cleaned at least 2 months before.
- Oral examination. An oral examination should accompany a teeth cleaning to check the health of your teeth and mouth.
- Fillings. If any cavities are discovered, they should be filled right away to prevent them from worsening.
One Month Ahead
Last minute touches can wait until a month in advance of your special event, such as:
- Teeth whitening. Whitening your teeth should be done about a month in advance of your big day. This ensures they will still look white and clean, but it also gives them time to dull slightly and look more natural.
Don’t Wait, Get Started Today
If you want to look your best in time for your big day, start planning your smile makeover now. Golia Dental provides a wide range of cosmetic dentistry procedures that can completely transform your smile or provide subtle improvements.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does teeth whitening last?
Professional teeth whitening treatments provide dramatic results that can last anywhere from 1-3 years. As long as you whiten your teeth at least a month in advance of your special event, you should still have a white smile.
Help! My event is coming up soon, am I too late to fix my smile?
If you are already running behind for the timeline above, give us a call. We will do our best to work within the time frame available to give you the best looking smile possible.